Friday, March 21, 2014

EBY002 2nd Tasting

Good news! I don't think anyone really noticed that EBY002 was suspiciously absent from my last EBY tasting notes, but you should all be happy that I found the stash! 




EBY002 (Brettanomyces dreifonteinii I)


Aroma: rather aggressive funk like the Gold Blend!; surprised that the nose smells so close to a lambic/geuze with only Brett. Very interesting.

Appearance: once you've seen one of these beers, you've pretty much seen them all; maybe less flocculant than 014, 015.

Flavor: quite dry but still soft and minerally, much more pronounced sour than the first tasting 002. It's not an off-flavor but there is a slight a biting taste in the finish, probably accentuated by the high attenuation.

Mouthfeel: very crisp, good carbonation - not overcarbed

Overall: Surprising. After tasting so unique ~30 days after bottling, this beer has settled into a flavor profile more similar to 014 and 015. But it is more sour!  Others have reported middling flavor and sourness from this strain. Either way I am I still very excited to experiment with this strain and to follow-up with the rest of the EBY002 tasting notes.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like EBY002, EBY010 and EBY014 are the only overlapping strains that we received. Of all 10 strains that I had, 002 was my favorite. I need to get my 13 month tasting notes posted soon. Have you entered your data into the group spreadsheet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not enter my data into the spreadsheet. I should do that, but I think I lost the link.

    I did really liked the flavor and aroma of EBY002 but it was not the most active fermenter. I think I actually lost the strain when I moved states over the summer.

    The other thing is that my beers all became more similar over time. Beers initially rated as "good" became less special, and beers initially rated “poor” rounded off and became more palatable.

    In the end, I will probably only continue to brew with EBY010. It’s a really good fermenter and gives a good, complex profile (if nothing too special). I have a starter going of it right now actually!

    ReplyDelete